McDonald’s is on my short list of fast food restaurants I eat more than I should but for only two reasons, the french fries and the Egg McMuffin. The rest of the menu … bleck. My only problem is everyone in this house typically sleeps past McDonald’s breakfast hours which forces me to get my fix in other ways.
I’ve been making my own Egg McMuffins for quite some time now but I could never get the egg right. Then I ran into a blog post (which I totally lost the link to) that shared how she steam fries the egg to get the same texture. And it worked!
The secret to an awesome egg McMuffin is adding a little water to the skillet and a lid to steam the egg until it’s fully cooked. Well that, and ditch the Canadian Bacon … real ham is so much better.
- 2 English Muffins, cut in half
- 2 eggs
- 4 slices of shaved ham
- 2 slices American cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt/pepper to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add butter.
- Add the muffins to the skillet and warm for about 2 minutes on each side, then set aside.
- Spray the skillet with non-stick cooking spray. Add a silicone egg ring to the skillet.
- Crack one egg in the ring and break the yolk.
- Fry for 30 seconds then add a tablespoon of water to the skillet (outside of the egg ring) and place a lid over it.
- Continue frying for 1 – 2 minutes until egg is cooked through.
- Place the egg on an English muffin and add a slice of cheese.
- Warm ham in the skillet and add to the sandwich.