The past two weeks have actually felt like summer. Temps creeping into the 80′s, lots of sunshine and even a few thunderstorms. And since our air conditioner isn’t working so great these days, we’ve been spending a lot of time at the local water park. I would have taken some pictures but my husband has banned me from bringing my iPhone within 100 feet of a water source (kidding, sort of). Anyways, we’ve basically been living in their “lazy river” floating in ice cold water to beat the heat.
After a day in the sun the last thing we want is any type of hot food. So I’ve been coming up with cool meals and even cooler desserts … starting with this Banana Cream Pie Icebox Cake.
It’s shaped like a cake but tastes just like a pie. There’s layers of graham crackers covered in sweet banana cream pie fluff and loads of bananas.
What I love most about this dessert, other than the fact that it comes out of the fridge ice cold, is that you can make it the night before you plan on eating it. The graham cracker gets soft and easy to cut through.
Banana Cream Pie Ice Box Cake Recipe
- 2 – 3.4 oz boxes of Instant Banana Cream pudding mix
- 2-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 small tub COOL WHIP frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 16 whole honey graham crackers
- 4-5 whole bananas
- 8 ounces white chocolate bark
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup chopped hazelnuts
- Using an electric mixer, whisk both pudding mixes with the milk on high speed for 5 minutes. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Fold ¾ of the tub of whipped topping into the pudding mix, just until incorporated.
- On a long, rectangular serving dish or rectangular casserole dish, arrange 4 of the graham crackers into a long rectangle.
- Using a piping bag, pipe a layer of the pudding mix over the graham crackers.
- Top with banana slices from 1 banana.
- Repeat the layering process two more times. For the 4th layer, just add graham crackers and banana cream. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, heat the chocolate bark and milk over medium heat, whisking constantly until melted and smooth. Cool for 15 minutes.
- Top the cake with fresh sliced bananas, chopped hazelnuts, drizzle with the white chocolate syrup and serve.