Not a day goes by that my 4 year old daughter isn’t begging for a bowl of warm oatmeal. During the past winter my husband got on an “oatmeal kick” and of course, being the little daddy’s girl that she is, she got hooked on it too.
I’m not one to knock pre-package food considering how convenient it can be but when it comes to oatmeal, nothing beats homemade. You can smell this baked strawberry-banana oatmeal throughout the house and digging in, it just doesn’t compared to the little oatmeal packets.
You can most definitely use whatever fresh fruit you have hanging around in the kitchen but since strawberries are in season and over-ripened bananas give dishes a natural sweetness, they’re the perfect combination for a baked oatmeal on a Sunday morning with the family.
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 egg
- 2 over-ripened bananas, smashed
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups quick cooking oats
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- 1 over ripened banana, sliced
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, beat together milk, egg, smashed bananas, vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon until combined.
- Add baking powder oats and half the strawberries. Stir well.
- Spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and pour the mixture in the dish, spreading evenly.
- Top with the remaining strawberries and bananas slices.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar and bake 25 minutes.
- Turn broiler to low and broil 5 - 7 minutes until topping is caramelized.
- Serve warm.