Far too often we have week nights when my husband comes home late from work and we’re left scrambling to come up with dinner at the last minute. The end result of that scramble means fast food more often than I’d like to admit. It doesn’t help that I’m not much of a planner when it comes to meals because I never know what flavors I’ll be in the mood for.
To help avoid our fast food splurges, I’ve been working on a few recipes we can use when time is lacking. This Broccoli Cheddar Chicken Braid is one of those that can be made in less than an hour, doesn’t cost very much to prepare and packs a lot of flavor into one dish (and fits quite nicely on my favorite jelly roll pan).
- 2 cans Pillsbury Original Crescent Rolls
- 2 cups chicken chunks, cooked
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 2 cups broccoli, frozen, steamed and chopped
- ½ cup light mayonnaise
- 1 egg yolk
- fresh rosemary
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- On a parchment paper lined cookie sheet, spread both cans of crescents length wise to form a long rectangle.
- Press each of the seams to form a single layer of dough.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, cheese, broccoli and mayonnaise
- Spread mixture over the center of the croissant dough evenly to create a log.
- Using a sharp knife, cut horizontal strips 1 inch apart down each side of the crescent dough.
- Fold the dough strips over the top of the chicken mixture, alternating left and right to create a braid.
- Brush the top of the braid with a beaten egg yolk and sprinkle fresh rosemary on top.
- Bake for 28 - 30 minutes until golden brown.