I’m kind of in love with Valentine’s Day, yes, even the whole commercialized-Hallmark-holiday version.
I love the flowers, the candy, the cards, the sappy love story movies, the conversation hearts and the romance, well, maybe just the idea of romance. My husband has yet to discover his hidden talent for romantic gestures. I refuse to give up on the idea of being swept off my feet. Most of all, I love making other people in my life feel loved. The best way I know to do that is to spoil them with baked goodies.
These cherry heart cutout chocolate cupcakes are no exception. And to be honest, chocolate is actually quite healthy!
Each cupcake is imprinted with love. A cutout in the center leaves space to fill each cupcake with sweet cherry pie filling. Or you could pick your own favorite filling like strawberries, chocolate fudge, conversation heart candies … pretty much anything that will fit.
So how do you make these? Well, it’s pretty simple.
1. Bake and completely cool your favorite cake mix cupcakes.
2. Use a Wilton heart shaped fondant cutter to press into the center of the cupcake.
3. Sometimes the cutter will pull the cake cake right out for you.
4. If the cake doesn’t come out, just use a fork to gently pull the heart out from the edge.
5. Dust the cupcake with powdered sugar.
6. Spoon a dollop of cherry pie filling into the center.