Did you know M&Ms recently created a new flavor? They did and it’s good! If you’ve visited Walmart recently you might have noticed these bright orange bags of the new White Chocolate Candy Corn M&Ms. They’re BIG, they’re soft and full of rich white chocolate flavor. Each bag contains a mix of orange, yellow and white supposedly to represent candy corn but I think they would have been a little cuter tri-colored.
Being the super freak I am about white chocolate, I picked up a dozen of these to use throughout the month in different recipes. I really wanted something that would make the white chocolate pop and got the idea to try a homemade white chocolate ice cream. Now you could probably use any old white chocolate you want, but I LOVE the Lindt White Chocolate bars, so they worked perfectly for this recipe.
The end result is the richest, creamiest, homemade ice cream I’ve ever made.
- 9 oz white chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 cup whole milk
- ⅔ cup sugar, divided in half
- 5 large egg yolks
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups white chocolate candy corn m&ms
- Ice Cream Maker
- Place white chocolate pieces in a medium bowl, set aside.
- Place egg yolks in a medium bowl and whisk together with half the sugar, set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the milk, cream, remaining sugar and salt. Whisk gently until the the mixture is hot enough that little bubbles start to appear but before it boils.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Spoon ½ cup of the hot mixture into the eggs and whisk until combined.
- Add the egg mixture to the saucepan and over medium heat, whisk until it begins to thicken. Immediately remove from heat.
- Pour mixture into the white chocolate bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Place the white chocolate custard mixture bowl into an ice bath until fully cooled, stirring constantly.
- Allow the custard to cool in the fridge for one hour before processing in an ice cream maker according to manufacturers directions.
- During the ice cream making process, pour in two cups of white chocolate m&ms
- Garnish with crushed m&ms before serving.