Valentine’s Day has always been one of my least favorite holidays. It feels so commercialized these days that flowers and a card or candy and a card have become a disappointment. I’d much rather celebrate with something my husband gives me that’s made with love (like snuggle time in bed with a DVD he rented and popcorn he popped himself). It’s those little gestures that remind me how much I’m loved.
And for him, I try to do the same. The way to this man’s heart always starts with chocolate cake.
To make it a bit more festive you can take a boxed cake mix and combine it with a juicy pie filling to create a cake that has incredible flavor and so much moisture you wouldn’t believe it came from a box.
And you get all those bites of plump cherries throughout the cake.
WHAT DOES YOUR SPOUSE LOVE TO GET ON VALENTINE’S DAY?
- 1 box Butter Recipe Chocolate Cake Mix
- 1 can cherry pie filling
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tub cherry flavored frosting (Betty Crocker)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and coat and 9 x 13 cake pan with Crisco and dust with flour.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together the cake mix, cherry pie filling, chocolate chips and eggs on low until combined.
- Spread cake mix evenly in pan and bake for 25 - 30 minutes.
- Cool before frosting.