I know it seems a little soon to think about Valentine’s Day but I can’t help myself. Ever since I had daughters, I just became obsessed with the color pink and Valentine’s Day is the one time of the year that you just can’t go overboard on pink.
Since our kids are still young and responsible babysitters are hard to come by, my husband and I don’t celebrate Valentine’s Day in the traditional sense. While other couples are out enjoying a quiet steak dinner, we’re at home making the holiday fun with our children. That fun typically begins with breakfast and whatever pink food I can put on the table. This year it’s going to be these oh-so-pretty pink pancakes made with a cherry chip cake mix batter and a sweet pink cheesecake pudding topping. Plus this recipe gave me a chance to pull out my electric griddle which I LOVE cooking on.
- 1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
- ⅔ cup Betty Crocker cherry chip cake mix
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1-3.4 oz box of JELL-O cheesecake instant pudding mix
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- pink or red food coloring
- Preheat electric griddle to 375 degrees F.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, cake mix, sugar, baking powder and salt until combined. Add eggs, extract and mix, whisking just until combined.
- Pour ¼ cup of the batter on the griddle for each pancake and cook until the top has bubbles and the edges appear dry. Flip pancakes and continue cooking for 1-2 minutes until light brown on the bottom.
- Set pancakes aside.
- In bowl, whisk together pudding mix, milk and food coloring. Mix for 5 minutes until thickened and smooth.
- Spoon topping over warm pancakes and top with sprinkles.
How do you celebrate Valentine’s Day?