This year I’ve gotten in the Thanksgiving spirit a tad early. For no real reason, I pulled together a mini pre-Thanksgiving dinner for the family. We did a turkey roast, the gravy, mashed potatoes, buttered corn, stuffing and my all time favorite, cranberry crisp.
For years I’ve been trying to recreate that yummy little dish of cranberry-apple dessert that comes in the Swanson Turkey TV Dinners. I’m not quite there yet but this is a very close and I made it even better with a crunchy topping.
Inside this dish you’ll find warm cranberries with apples, a hint of citrus and all topped off with a sweet and crunchy oatmeal crisp.
- 1 12 oz bag of fresh cranberries
- 3 Granny Smith apples, diced
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- juice and zest of one navel orange
- 1½ cups old fashioned oats
- ½ cup flour
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Spray a deep baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add cranberries, diced apples, sugar, orange juice, zest and flour to dish. Stir well.
- In a bowl, combine oats, flour, brown sugar and butter. Stir well.
- Spread the topping over the cranberry mix evenly and bake uncovered for 1 hour.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving.