I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting for Sunshine Sweet Corn. I received a gift card to purchase a product sample to facilitate my review and a promotional item as a thank you for participating.
Aside from the warm weather and green grass, the thing I love most about Spring in Illinois is the fresh produce. After a long bitter winter there’s nothing quite like visiting the farmer’s market, local pick-your-own produce farms and even the grocery store. Every week there’s something new as more veggies make their way straight from the farms to the markets. One of my personal favorites is fresh sweet corn. This isn’t a vegetable I can easily grow in my own garden area since it takes up so much space but it is something I can get locally all summer long. We’re in the heart of corn country and we even have our own Sweet Corn Festival in the summer but you might be surprised to learn that Florida is also a big producer of sweet corn.
Now while there’s no comparison to fresh corn hot and buttered right on the cob, it’s not the only way we use it. I love to make a sweet corn chowder that the kids gobble up but we also use it cut off the cob and mixed in with other ingredients for an added sweetness. One quick lunch everyone here loves is Quesadillas. I can use fully-cooked chicken, salsa, cheese and fresh sweet corn to make a 10 minute lunch that’s delicious!
For more information and ways to use fresh sweet corn be sure to visit Sunshine Sweet Corn online.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 flour tortillas
- 8 ounces fully cooked grilled chicken strips
- 3 cobs of fresh sweet corn
- ½ cup mild chunky salsa
- 2 cups shredded cheese, Mexican blend
- Prepare sweet corn by removing the silk and husks from the cobs. Wash and pat dry. Use a large knife to slice the corn off the cob and place in a microwave safe bowl. Cover with a small plate and microwave for 2 minutes to steam the corn.
- Heat chicken strips as directed on packaging.
- Heat a large griddle over medium heat and coat the pan with butter.
- Place one tortilla in the skillet and fill half of it with chicken, corn, salsa and cheese. Fold in half and cook for 30 seconds on each side, until cheese is melted.
- Repeat for the remaining tortillas.
- Cut each quesadilla in half and serve.
Livin’ the Sweet Life Contest
Right now you can enter the Livin’ the Sweet Life Contest hosted by Sunshine Sweet Corn. All you have to do is visit the contest homepage and pin any one of the featured corn recipes. Prizes up for grabs are three deluxe Williams-Sonoma entertaining packages worth over $200!