Ever since I picked those buckets of strawberries last week, we’ve pretty much been eating them on a daily basis. If I’m being honest, most of them have gone to after dinner strawberry shortcakes. It’s such an irresistible dessert and these kids love it so much. I have held a few back for other recipes like the Frozen Strawberry Daiquiris and the Strawberries n Cream Pound Cake. But I’ve still got a lot left over! I did get a lot of great idea from Facebook fans like: fruit leather (not sure I want to turn on the oven for this), fruit pizza (mmm), ice cream (yes, must make), jams/preserves (might be beyond my skills) and popsicles (yes, must make these too).
But for now, we’re thinking breakfast. Strawberries and French Toast are a match made in heaven, only second to bananas. We always have Hawaiian Sweet bread and rolls in the house somewhere so I thought I’d give it a try for French Toast. Since it’s not a very dense bread, it’s tricky to get from the egg dip to the frying pan.
But oh so worth it! The sweetness of the bread, strawberries and maple bread is just so so so delicious.
- 1 loaf King’s Hawaiian Sweet Bread
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- butter for frying
- maple syrup
- fresh sliced strawberries
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Slice the loaf of bread into 6 thick slices, then again in half for 12 slices total.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Coat the bottom of the frying pan with butter.
- Quickly dip the bread into the egg mixture and right back out. Don’t let it linger or the bread will fall apart.
- Fry on both sides until golden brown. Add more butter as needed to finish all of the bread.
- Top with warm maple syrup and sliced strawberries.