Ever since we brought home a bucket full of strawberries I’ve pretty much had nothing on the the brain but strawberries. Grown right here in Illinois and fresh picked, what’s not to love? There’s a million things I could be doing with these sweet little gems but since I had a Sara Lee pound cake in the freezer, it seemed only fitting to slice it up and layer it with sweet cream and glazed strawberries.
It’s a dessert that’s super sweet and super simple.
And if you’re already grilling for dinner, you can brush the pound cake with a little melted butter and grill it outside! Now the glaze part was more of an experiment. It’s not the perfect ingredient combo because it got a little too thick for my liking but it’s a great starting point. If you give it a try, definitely adjust the ingredients to your liking. I think next time I’ll cut down on the corn starch and add extra JELLO powder.
- 1 buttered pound cake, sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons Strawberry JELLO powder
- 1 quart strawberries
- 8 ounce cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 small tub COOL WHIP
- Prepare the strawberries by washing, patting dry and cutting off the green tops. Set aside.
- In a pot over high heat, whisk the water, sugar and cornstarch until it comes to a boil and thickens. Remove from heat and whisk in JELLO powder until smooth. Cool for 15 minutes then stir in strawberries. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Prepare the cream. Whisk the cream cheese and vanilla until smooth. Add powdered sugar and whisk with an electric mixer on high until smooth. Add COOL WHIP and whisk until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Top one slice of pound cake with the cream, then another slice of pound cake, and finish with a scoop of the strawberries.