I am a compensated “Cans Get You Cooking” ambassador.
This morning our family woke up to a picturesque winter wonderland. Since we’re seriously considering moving to Florida within the next 1-2 years, I couldn’t help but take in the beauty of everything around us covered in soft, white snow. Living in Illinois for most of my life, it’s something you tend to take for granted since it’s part of every winter here. This could very well be our last winter here and while I’m not fond of the below freezing temperatures, I would really miss the snow.
Along with the cold and snowy days comes one of my very favorite winter foods … soup! It warms the tummy and the soul from the inside out. In fact, during the winter, I have soup as part of at least one meal of the day. And it’s one of those meals that is quick and easy to make.
Since my favorite chili seasoning is no longer being made, I’ve had to resort to coming up with new ways to enjoy this hearty dish. A fun twist is making a taco soup that’s packed with many of the same ingredients as chili but with taco seasoning.
If you happen to be snowed in when you’re craving taco soup, you really don’t need to look much further than your pantry to get most of the ingredients. We keep a “cantry” stocked full of canned vegetables like: Red Gold Diced Tomatoes and Sauce, Bush’s Beans and plenty of Del Monte corn. A well-stocked Cantry helps you save time and get a healthy, flavorful and home-cooked meal on the table, more often. It’s homemade made easy.
The best part? This taco soup can be made in about 30 minutes on the stove or you can let it cook slowly in the crock pot all day and enjoy it for dinner later. This is one meal even my kids enjoy and I can sneak in any extra vegetables I want without them noticing!
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 1 (or 2) 11 oz taco seasoning packets (1 for mild, 2 for strong flavor)
- 2 - 8 ounces cans Red Gold tomato sauce
- 1 - 14.5 ounces can Red Gold diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 - 15.25 ounces can Del Monte corn, drained
- 1 - 14.5 ounces can chicken broth
- 1 - 16 ounces can Bush's Dark Red Kidney Beans
- 1 - 16 ounces can Bush's Light Red Kidney Beans
- pinch of salt
- pinch of ground black pepper
- Brown ground beef, onion and peppers. Mix in taco seasoning until combined.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker and stir. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Top with broken corn chips, sour cream and shredded cheese
This recipe is fairly easy to make, will bring new flavors to the dinner table and it’s homemade made easy thanks to the flavorful mix of canned foods. Want to make this dish for your next dinner? Grab the recipe above! Or to get even more can-friendly cooking recipes be sure to check out these great resources:
- Facebook: www.Facebook.com/CansGetYouCooking
- Pinterest: www.Pinterest.com/CansGetUCooking
- YouTube: www.YouTube.com/CansGetYouCooking