In less than two weeks we’ll be having our garden planting party and of course this means there will be lots of food. I always like to keep the dessert table flowing with new and different treats so I decided to try out some recipe ideas today.
Strawberries are ridiculously cheap and available everywhere right now (except at the local patch I like to pick them fresh) so we picked up a couple of cartons this week. With the few that were left and I mean few (my girls are fresh strawberry HOGS), I tried out a stuffed strawberry idea I’ve been hanging onto all winter.
Vanilla Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries!
Say it with me …. yummmmmmmmmm!
To make these all you need is a few basic ingredients and a sharp knife. Since strawberries aren’t exactly flat, to make them stand up you just slice off a bit off the narrow tip to create a stable base. After you’ve cleaned and cut the tops just use the tip of a small knife to carve out the center. The inside pops right out and is ready to be filled with whatever you’d like.
In this case, I used a no-bake vanilla cheesecake filling with a little sprinkle of nutmeg on top. You could get creative and use whatever filling you’d like, maybe a chocolate mousse, a crumbled graham cracker topping, marshmallow cream, the possibilities are endless. The only thing you must do is hide a few in the back of the fridge or your kids (or spouse) will gobble them all up.
** WHAT’S YOUR FAVORITE WAY TO EAT STRAWBERRIES? **
- 1 dozen fresh, large strawberries
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- ½ tub of Cool Whip
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ground nutmeg (optional)
- In an electric mixer, combine cream cheese, sugar, Cool Whip and vanilla extract. Bean on high for about 1 minute until combined and fluffy.
- Rinse the strawberries with cool water and lightly pat dry with a paper towel.
- Use a sharp knife to cut off the green top and the tip of the strawberry so it will stand up on a flat plate.
- Use the tip of your knife to carve out the center of the strawberry from the top (where the greens were).
- Use a spoon or piping bag to fill the strawberries with the cheesecake filling and sprinkle lightly with ground nutmeg.
- Chill in refrigerator until ready to serve (same day).