I think it’s fair to say the most loved summer dessert is a classic S’mores. The layers of crunchy graham crackers, gooey marshmallow and smooth chocolate are irresistible. But as a mom, I cringe making them. My kids are magnets for messy and that’s exactly what S’mores are. MESSY! Add in the fact that we don’t have a campfire hanging out in backyard, it’s just easier to find alternative ways to enjoy this delicious dessert. So I found a way to make them into another a favorite … a rice krispies treat!
There are 3 layers to this S’mores Rice Krispies Treat. On the bottom there’s a Golden Grahams cereal treat, then a layer of ooey gooey Rice Krispies and marshmallows, then it’s topped off with chopped milk chocolate. Finally, it gets baked for a just a few minutes to melt the chocolate.
I’d love to hear your favorite summer dessert! Maybe I’ll see if I can turn it into a Rice Krispies Treat!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
- 5 cups Golden Grahams cereal
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups mini marshmallows + 3 cups (divided)
- 7 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 bag milk chocolate chips (or chunks, chopped)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. F. Prepare TWO 8 x 8 baking pans with non-stick cooking spray and a sheet of parchment paper.
- Over medium heat in a large pot, melt 4 TBS butter. Add 3 C marshmallows and stir slowly just until melted. Remove from heat and mix in Golden Grahams cereal. Spread half the mixture into both pans. Coat your hands with cooking spray and press the mixture evenly into the bottom of each pan.
- Using the same pot over medium heat, melt 8 TBS butter. Add 6 C marshmallows and stir slowly just until melted. Remove from heat and mix in Rice Krispies cereal. Then add the 3 C marshmallows and mix. Spread half the mixture into both pans. Coat your hands with cooking spray and press the mixture over the Golden Grahams layer of both pans.
- Top both pans with chocolate chips and bake for up to 5 minutes, just until the chocolate softens. Cool both pans for 30 minutes then cut and serve.