During the dreadful heat of the summer, I find myself using my slow cooker a lot. Not only does it keep me from turning on the oven but when we’re having a busy day out of the house with the kids, I can set it and forget it. Just this week I spent the afternoon shopping, did a super long walk and came home to a hot meal because I threw it together that morning. We were all starving and just read to eat and go to bed. Which is exactly what we did.
Smothered steak (or Swiss steak some call it) is one of the very best meals my mom ever made. It’s still one of my favorites but I can’t cook the “steak” without it being a piece of leather. However, I’ve found that chicken legs are a great alternative. They come out tender and moist when using the slow cooker and well, I’m cutting a lot of red meat out of my diet anyways.
- 1 - 28 oz can petite diced tomatoes (Hunt's)
- 1 large Vidalia onion, sliced
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 2 packets McCormick Swiss Steak Seasoning
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- 6-8 chicken legs
- Set a 7 qt slow cooker to low heat.
- In the bottom layer the tomatoes (with juice), then the onions and carrots.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the seasoning from both packets, olive oil and minced garlic.
- Use your hands to rub the chicken legs with the seasoning mixture and add them to the slow cooker.
- You can also toss in a few quartered potatoes if you like.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- We like to serve this with cottage cheese and cheesy mac.