I’ve always been a huge lover of crepes, especially ones filled with super sweet flavors and rich cream. You know, the dessert kind full of fat and calories.
Since embracing a healthier lifestyle I’ve refused to give up some of my favorite dishes including crepes. Through careful adjustment of the ingredients I’ve learned you can turn your favorite comfort foods into decadent “skinny” dishes that are just as satisfying with only a fraction of the calories.
These strawberry banana breakfast crepes are made with fresh fruit, organic yogurt and whole wheat making them a very healthy and satisfying breakfast … with only 125 calories each.
- ⅓ cup skim or low-fat milk
- 1 egg
- ½ tablespoon vegetable oil
- ¼ cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup organic vanilla flavored low-fat yogurt
- 2 medium (or 1 large) strawberry
- 1 small over-ripened banana
- 4 tablespoons whipped cream (optional)
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk, egg and oil.
- Add flour, sugar, salt and whisk until smooth.
- Heat an 8 inch skillet over medium heat and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of crepe batter into the center of the skillet and tilt the skillet to coat the bottom evenly.
- Cook for about 30 second, until the top of the crepe looks dry.
- Flip crepe and cook for another 15 - 20 seconds. Set aside to cool and continue cook the remaining crepes.
- Finely dice the strawberries and banana.
- In a small bowl mix together the yogurt, strawberry and banana.
- Fill the center of each crepe with ¼ of the filling, fold the edges towards the center and top with a tablespoon of whipped cream.