This post brought to you by Dollar General. All opinions are 100% mine.
I’ve lived within two miles of a Dollar General store for several years now and we’ve often used it as a quick stop for something we need in a hurry, like ketchup or milk. Surprisingly, it’s also a place you can use to stock up on staples for holiday recipes with many items being priced lower than other grocery stores we visit.
We recently took the family to Dollar General to see how many ingredients we could find for a simple holiday appetizer that I love to make. While the refrigerated and frozen section wasn’t quite as well stocked as I’d hoped, I did actually find everything I wanted including staples like bacon, pre-cooked ham, Pillsbury crescent rolls and shredded cheddar cheese. Although it wasn’t on my list, I did even find Pixie Sticks that I’ve been looking everywhere for.
Back at home, I prepped all of the ingredients and below you can see the process to make this meaty, cheesy holiday wreath all wrapped nicely in crescent rolls. The best part of this appetizer is that you can adjust the ingredients to your own favorite flavors.
- 12 ounces bacon
- 1 tube 50% bigger Pillsbury Crescent Rolls
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ⅓ cup french onion dip
- 5 ounces pre-cooked, sliced ham
- 6 ounces frozen broccoli, thawed and chopped
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- ⅓ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Fry bacon, drain and set aside to cool.
- Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the crescent dough in a circular pattern (it will look like a sun) with the short flat side towards the center and the points facing outward. Overlap the edges slightly to create a solid ring. (see picture above).
- In a small bowl mix together cream cheese and onion dip and spread over the dough evenly.
- Sprinkle the ham, broccoli and bacon over the cream cheese.
- Wrap the points of the dough over the filling and tuck in the center.
- In a small bowl whisk the egg yolk and water. Use a pastry brush to brush the yolk over the dough. Sprinkle the top with cheddar cheese.
- Baked 25 – 30 minutes, until golden brown.