Spring is finally here and I’m so excited for two reasons: warm weather and cool desserts. During the winter months I love warm and fruity desserts but the Spring and Summer months is all about refrigerator cakes, ice cream and other cool treats.
When I’m looking for new recipes to try I start with my favorite brand’s website. I’m always surprised by the creative recipes available online that use products I keep on hand like McCormick extracts. I recently spent a lot of time browsing the online Spring Look Book from McCormick that includes recipes for appetizers, main dishes and of course plenty of desserts. When I saw the Aloha cake recipe I knew that was one I just had to try.
The great thing about this particular recipe is you can adjust the ingredients and flavor combinations to create a totally unique cupcake. I tried out a butter rum extract flavor in both the cake and the cold pineapple pudding topping that really made these over-top-delicious and so Spring-like.
- 1 package (18¼ ounces) yellow cake mix
- 5 teaspoons McCormick® Imitation Butter Rum Extract, divided
- 1 package (4-serving size) vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 tub (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- maraschino cherries (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare cake mix as directed on package and add 3 teaspoons of the butter rum extract to the batter, stir well.
- Pour batter into a cake pan or lined cupcake pan.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- While the cake is cooling, prepare pudding mix as directed on package except use 1-1/2 cups of milk instead of the 2 suggested, stirring in remaining 2 teaspoons of butter rum extract. Spread pineapple and pudding over cake or cupcakes and frost with whipped topping. Refrigerate 1 hour or until ready to serve.
Pin and Win with McCormick Spring Pin-spiration Contest
If you love looking at, collecting, cooking and sharing Spring recipes as much as I do, you’ll want to checkout the Spring Pin-spiration Contest. It’s a fun way to find new Spring recipes, share your favorites and even enter to win some Spring baking prizes. Twenty-five winners will take home a spring baking kit courtesy of McCormick. All the details on how to participate and enter are included on the graphic below.
I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting for McCormick. I received product samples and a promotional item to thank me for participating.