During the summer months our family loves to embrace new flavor combinations and lighter dishes for our meals. One way we do that is by choosing season fruits and vegetables that are more difficult to find during the rest of the year. For us, summer is all about strawberries. We pick our own locally and freeze them to use all year long. While they’re great with more traditional dishes like strawberry shortcake and pie, strawberries are also make a sweet dessert salsa.
Alone, the strawberry-kiwi salsa is tasty but paired with homemade cinnamon-sugar tortilla chip, it’s the perfect combination. Mission flour tortillas are something we often having hanging out in the pantry for my son’s favorite, cheese roll-ups and quick taco dinners but you’d be surprised how easily they can be incorporated into every day meals and desserts.
We can turn one stack of small Mission flour tortillas into breakfast wraps, mini quesadillas and even a sweet dessert. When buttered, dusted with cinnamon-sugar and baked, they become a crispy dessert chip perfect for dipping.
- 1 cup diced fresh strawberries (about 12 strawberries)
- ½ cup diced fresh kiwis (about 3 kiwis)
- 3 tablespoons strawberry preserves
- 3 tablespoons white granulated sugar
- 3-5 small Mission flour tortillas
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- ½ cup white granulated sugar
- ½ tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine strawberries, kiwis, preserves and sugar, mixing gently until combined.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- In a small bowl, mix cinnamon and sugar until combined.
- Brush both sides of the tortillas with butter and place on a cutting board.
- Sprinkle both sides of the tortillas generously with the cinnamon sugar and cut into 8 wedges or strips.
- Spread the chips evenly on a baking sheet and bake 8-10 minutes until crispy.
- Serve the chips warm with the bowl of fruit salsa.
Mission Eat Interesting Sweeps
From June 29th through August 5th, ten amazing and mouthwatering recipes using Mission products will be featured on the Mission Facebook Fan page including the one I created. This is an opportunity for you to grab some new recipes for meal planning and “eat interesting” this summer. By voting for your favorite you are also entered to win $3,000 in cash and prizes from the Mission Eat Interesting Sweeps.
Visit MISSION on FACEBOOK to vote and enter!
Disclosure – This is a sponsored post on behalf of Mission. Opinions expressed are my own.