These days our weeknights are jam packed with activities. Our son comes home from school and heads straight to his room to do homework, then our daughter hops off the bus ready for her afternoon snack and just as we think it’s time to sit down and rest for a moment, it’s time to go again. Our son has daily football practice and my husband comes home just before he leaves. Somewhere between that and bath time we have to squeeze in dinner.
Like most families with school-aged children, putting a hot dinner on the table can prove to be difficult. On nights like that I take the semi-homemade dinner approach. I can quickly scan the fridge, freezer and pantry for some basics that will come together in about 30 minutes. One of the family favorites uses Ore-Ida® Tater Tots®. Since we always have some form of potato with every meal, I like to make these the star of the dish.
I personally love making twice baked potatoes loaded up with meat and cheese but during the weeknight, there’s just no time for that dish. Instead, I use those tots to create a fully loaded tater tot casserole. Much like the real thing, this dish is loaded with cheddar cheese, crunch bacon bits, tender ham chunks and topped off with sour cream and green onions.
You can whip this casserole up in about 30 minutes or so with whatever toppings you have on hand or even use it as a side dish loaded with veggies. This is also a great dish to take on the go in a portable Pyrex baking dish for holiday gatherings.
- 1 bag Ore-Ida® Tater Tots®
- 1 pound bacon
- 1 cup chopped deli ham
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¼ cup green onions, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Spray a large casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray and spread the frozen tater tots in an even layer in the dish.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- While the tots are baking, chop the bacon into bite size pieces and fry until crispy. Set aside on a paper towel to cool and drain.
- In a large bowl, lightly mix together the cheese, ham and bacon.
- Pull the tater tots out of the oven and cover evenly with the cheese mixture.
- Continue baking for another 15 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes before serving topped with sour cream and green onions.
Compensation was provided by Ore-Ida® via Glam Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Ore-Ida.