Every time the kids drag us out to the mall there’s three things that are guaranteed to happen.
First, we always have to stop at Charley’s in the food court to get a hot, fried sub. Usually it’s the chicken philly or an ultimate club for me. After that, they drag us down to the center of the mall for ride on the carousel. It’s not my favorite thing to do since I spend a good five minutes afterwards trying not to lose my lunch.
Our last stop is always Auntie Anne’s Pretzels. Before Gloria Jeans moved out of the mall I would get my little craving fix there but now we grab a few cups of pretzel nuggets and cheese sauce. We’ve even used the Auntie Anne’s pretzel kit to make them at home but after looking at some recipes online I realized these are super easy to make. You can even dress them up with delicious toppings like bacon and cheddar cheese, baked right onto the pretzel.
- 2 – ½ cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 – ¼ teaspoons instant yeast (or 1 packet)
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded and chopped
- ½ cup cooked bacon, finely chopping
- Place all of the dough ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer. Use the paddle to mix on low for a few seconds, just until combined.
- Use the dough hook and knead the dough on low for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle dough lightly with flour and place in a plastic bag to rest on the counter for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F. Prepare a baking sheet by spraying it with vegetable oil spray, or lining it with parchment paper or a Silpain baking mat.
- Place the dough on a lightly greased work surface, and divide it into eight equal pieces. (* use a kitchen scale to make sure the pieces are of equal weight)
- Pour the baking soda/water mixture into a square baking dish.
- Roll each piece of dough into a rope about 30 inches long and twist into a pretzel shape (or cut into strips or nuggets).
- Dip each pretzel in the water mixture getting both sides wet and place on the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle sea salt on each pretzel and press the cheese and bacon onto each pretzel.
- Bake 7-9 minutes until golden brown.