In our house, you’ll find it’s a very rare occasion when there is leftover mashed potatoes. Aside from my potato loving self, my daughter Kaydence is a mashed potato fanatic. Her potato cravings have gotten so ridiculous that when we all sat down to watch a movie the other night, instead of reaching for the bowl of popcorn my husband popped, she ran in the kitchen to grab my bowl of leftover mashed potatoes from dinner and proceeded to finger dip in the bowl.
It’s her obsession. However, this week she’s been sick and there were a few nights her appetite was so low that we ended up with a quart sized bag of taters left over. Instead of letting them go to waste I thought it would be fun to dress them up a bit with a Parmesan cracker crust.
On the outside you get a crispy golden layer but on the inside it’s a silky smooth mashed potato bite. Mmm.
- 2 cups buttered mashed potatoes, thick
- ¼ cup Crisco vegetable shortening
- 1 cup Original Club Crackers, finely crumbled
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 eggs
- Heat shortening in a large skillet over medium heat.
- In a small dish, whisk eggs until smooth, set aside.
- On a plate, mix cracker crumbs, Parmesan cheese and parsley, set aside.
- Form about 2 tablespoons of chilled mashed potatoes into a ball. If your mashed potatoes aren't thick, add a bit of flour to the them.
- Roll mashed potato ball in the egg wash.
- Roll mashed potato ball in the crumb mixture and slightly flatten into a patty.
- Cook each potato cake for about 1 - 2 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Drain excess oil on the potato cakes on a paper towel before serving warm.