They say that bacon makes everything better. As a total bacon lover, I’m inclined to agree, especially when my husband suggested asparagus for dinner. Yuck!
Up until now I’ve had one and only one experience with asparagus. And let me tell you, it wasn’t a good experience. The vegetable was slimy, soft and covered in a foul smelling sauce (probably hollandaise sauce). I’m pretty sure I gagged when I tried it considering I gag a little when I even look at this stuff in the grocery store.
So when we were getting stuff together for dinner and my husband picked up a bunch of asparagus at the grocery store, I gave him the stink eye (which translates to, you ain’t bringing that nasty veggie in my house). But then he mentioned bacon and I softened up to the idea.
You know what, I’m glad I did because bacon really does make everything better. I’m still not 100% on board with eating asparagus but it’s not too bad when rubbed with oil, garlic salt, wrapped in bacon and grilled. I dare say it might even be tasty! It’s not often my husband takes over cooking around here but I have to give him some kudos. He did a great job with the side dish!
Tip: Use aluminum foil to make a little try for the asparagus on the grill. Roll up the sides to create handles so you can take it off the grill easily.
When it’s all said and done, the asparagus is still a tiny bit slimy but the crunchy bacon totally makes up for that weird texture.
- 20 stalks of asparagus
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 10 strips of bacon, slice in half length-wise
- Rinse, pat dry the asparagus and lay them in a single layer in a baking pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the mixture over the asparagus and toss to coat.
- Wrap each stalk with a half strip of bacon like a corkscrew. You can secure the bacon on each end with a toothpick (soak the toothpicks in water for 10 minutes BEFORE grilling).
- Grill on a sheet of aluminum foil for about 4-6 minutes on each side.