Partnered post with Allstate and MtoM Consulting.
A few nights ago, the kids were tucked away in bed and I found myself with some free time to catch up on cleaning. Not the funnest thing to do but it has to get done. So I turned on some Christmas music to play in the background and lit a few candles. I stepped away to use the restroom and returned to the kitchen to find the tapered candle I had lit was not only missing but there was wax splattered all over my table cloth and a scorch mark. It was a close call! That table cloth could have easily gone up in flames, taking my table and house with it. And you know what? It would have been my fault.
I not only left a candle unattended, even just for those few minutes, but I also left it in a room with curious cats. I had assumed that the candle fell out of the holder but after lighting it once again, I found the real reason my candle burned my table cloth.
Candles that we enjoy so much during the holiday season are part of the reason that there’s a 15% increase in house fires. It’s also a cause that can be prevented. So please, take my advice. Keep your house, children and pets safe by never, ever leave a burning candle in a room without direct supervision. And you should also keep it out of reach of curious cats!
According to a new Allstate claims report, an average of 67,500 homeowners insurance claims take place during the holiday season – and much of this can be avoided! Here’s a graphic that shares 5 holiday disasters and tips for preventing them!