My Thoughts on Cats, Candles and 5 Tips for a Safer Holiday Season

Tweet about this on Twitter3Share on Facebook9Pin on Pinterest2Share on Google+0Share on StumbleUpon0Email this to someone

Partnered post with Allstate and MtoM Consulting.

A few nights ago, the kids were tucked away in bed and I found myself with some free time to catch up on cleaning. Not the funnest thing to do but it has to get done. So I turned on some Christmas music to play in the background and lit a few candles.  I stepped away to use the restroom and returned to the kitchen to find the tapered candle I had lit was not only missing but there was wax splattered all over my table cloth and a scorch mark. It was a close call! That table cloth could have easily gone up in flames, taking my table and house with it. And you know what? It would have been my fault.

I not only left a candle unattended, even just for those few minutes, but I also left it in a room with curious cats. I had assumed that the candle fell out of the holder but after lighting it once again, I found the real reason my candle burned my table cloth.

The cat!

Candles that we enjoy so much during the holiday season are part of the reason that there’s a 15% increase in house fires. It’s also a cause that can be prevented. So please, take my advice. Keep your house, children and pets safe by never, ever leave a burning candle in a room without direct supervision. And you should also keep it out of reach of curious cats!

According to a new Allstate claims report, an average of 67,500 homeowners insurance claims take place during the holiday season – and much of this can be avoided! Here’s a graphic that shares 5 holiday disasters and tips for preventing them!

Infographic courtesy of The Allstate Blog.
Tweet about this on Twitter3Share on Facebook9Pin on Pinterest2Share on Google+0Share on StumbleUpon0Email this to someone
food family finds pinterest
  1. This is a great reminder! We don’t currently have a cat in our house, but that is honestly something that never crossed my mind when we did before. Of course curious kitties would want to see what is going on with that flickering light!

  2. So scary and so glad nothing major happened. Candles freak me out but I only light the one on my coffee table when I’m watching TV. Thanks for the great reminder!

  3. I once had a grey cat who would dip her paw into the melted wax in a a burning pillar candle, then lick the wax off her paw. I learned then never to leave a cat with an unattended candle. Thanks for the reminder, and for the interesting safety infographic.