Late last night I got this unimaginable craving for hot cocoa but not the kind that comes out of a packet with little dehydrated marshmallows. I wanted something more homey instead. Although, I will admit, I love those crunchy little things.
It was then I remembered when my older sister would make me hot cocoa on the stove with real cocoa. The kind that is gag worthy should you dip your finger in the powder for a taste test … not that I’m guilty of doing that or anything. ;)
So I made myself a test batch and it was good, really good!
Then of course I had to take it a step further and decided to experiment with some spices in my cabinet which led me to the Pumpkin Spiced Hot Cocoa.
It just so happens I also found these Kraft Jet-Puffed Giant Pumpkin shaped (but not flavored) marshmallows at Walmart. The pumpkin spiced cocoa and these were just made for each other.
- 1¼ cups of milk
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ – ⅛ teaspoon McCormick Pumpkin Pie Spice
- marshmallows (optional)
- In a saucepan over medium heat, heat milk until hot to the touch, about 1 – 2 minutes.
- Whisk in sugar, cocoa powder and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Turn off heat.
- Whisk in ¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, taste, if you want more, add another ¼ teaspoon.
- Serve in a mug with loads of marshmallows.