Now that we’re finally getting some cooler evenings, I find myself itching to start using the oven again for meals. One of our long-time favorites is stuffed peppers. It’s also a go-to recipe now that I’ve got an abundance of fresh bell peppers in my backyard garden. I don’t like the idea of anything I’ve grown going to waste. We’re very much apart of the 73% of Americans that throw away spoiled fruits and vegetables on average two times a week. Sometimes produce bought from the store ends up hidden in the crisper and other times I buy too much and forget to use it before it spoils.
That’s why I like go with semi-homemade meals with canned foods which makes sure nothing goes to waste. I can count on buying a can of produce that’s fundamentally the same that our grandparents and great grandparents used to naturally preserve food generations ago. It will be there ready to use days and months later should I forget I bought it.
For my stuffed peppers recipe, it’s often made very traditionally but there are ways to spice it up with new flavors. We recently found Red Gold Petite Diced Tomatoes with Hot Green Chilies that added a nice kick to the beef and rice filling inside the peppers.
When they’re stuffed and ready for the oven you get this beautiful mix of colors and a nutrient-rich meal that’s ready to go from the oven to the dinner table in less than an hour.
To make this dish more flavorful we added Mexican flavored rice rather than plain white rice and topped them with a Mexican blend of cheeses rather than traditional mozzarella.
This recipe is fairly easy to make, will bring new flavors to the dinner table and it’s homemade made easy thanks to the flavorful mix of canned tomatoes and green chilies. Want to make this dish for your next dinner? Grab the recipe below! Or to get even more can-friendly cooking recipes be sure to check out these great resources:
- Facebook: www.Facebook.com/CansGetYouCooking
- Pinterest: www.Pinterest.com/CansGetUCooking
- YouTube: www.YouTube.com/CansGetYouCooking
- 3 bell peppers, cut in half (top to bottom)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup pre-cooked Mexican flavored rice
- 1 – 14.5 ounces can Red Gold Petite Diced Tomatoes with Hot Green Chilies, liquid drained
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup Mexican blend shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add the bell pepper halves (cut, cleaned and seeds removed) to a large pot of boiling water. Boil for 5 minutes. Drain water and set aside.
- Brown ground beef until no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Drain grease and add the beef to a mixing bowl. Add rice and tomatoes. Stir.
- Place the pepper skin side down in the casserole dish. Fill each pepper with the beef/rice/tomato mixture.
- Pour tomato sauce over the stuffed peppers.
- Cover with lid or Aluminum foil and baked for 45 minutes.
- Remove the lid, sprinkle the cheese over the peppers and bake uncovered for 10 minutes, until cheese is melted.
Use the entry form below to enter to win a #CansGetYouCooking Prize Pack including: $25 American Express gift card, a Cans Get You Cooking tote bag, a Cans Get You Cooking apron and a can opener.