In my daughter’s own words … nom nom nom nom nommmmm
I can say without a doubt, these Mediterranean Spiced Mozzarella Sticks are the best “fried cheese” as we call it, that I’ve ever tasted. And believe me, I’ve had a lot of friend cheese, it’s my favorite appetizer and I try them at every restaurant I go to.
Unlike traditional Italian mozzarella sticks these are flavored with McCormick Mediterranean Spiced Sea Salt which is a blend of sea salt, garlic oregano, basil, red bell pepper and red pepper. It’s a funny little combination of flavors that I just can’t describe without saying yummy. While I typically use this spice blend on chicken, it called out to me when I was deciding how to take this fried cheese to the next level.
- 8 mozzarella sticks (ak string cheese)
- 1 cup unflavored panko crumbs
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon McCormick Mediterranean Spiced Sea Salt (from Gourmet Collection)
- canola oil for frying
- In a deep skillet, heat canola oil (about ½ inch deep) over medium heat to 330 degrees F.
- While oil is heating, use 3 separate small bowls and place flour in one, beaten eggs in one and panko crumbs in one.
- Add seasoning to panko crumbs and stir.
- Cut string cheese in half to create two sticks.
- For each cheese stick, dip it in the egg mixture, roll it in the flour, dip it in the egg mixture, roll it in the panko and set aside on a plate.
- Put the plate of sticks in the freezer until oil has reached 330 degrees F.
- Using metal tongs, add a few sticks to the oil (carefully). After about 30 seconds, turn the sticks over and continue to fry until the sticks reach a nice golden brown color.
- Place the sticks on a paper towel lined plate to drain and cool.
- Serve with warm marinara sauce.