What a dreadful word. It’s true, Mondays are (quite likely) the least liked day of the week. It’s the day everyone gets back into the routine of a busy work and school week. After a relaxing weekend the first thing on my mind for the rest of the wee is … what’s for dinner?
Being a work-from-home-mom it’s my job to answer that question and make sure a meal is on the table after my husband has had a hard day at work and the kids need refueled before another day of school. I like to think of Mondays as my easy meal day. It’s the one day of the week I put together a meal that doesn’t take a lot of work but has some “kid-stopping power”. I want everyone around the table so we can have a conversation and enjoy a meal together.
One way I do that is with Manwich.
While Manwich is the ultimate sauce for making an old-fashioned Sloppy Joe sandwich I do like to mix it up a bit to keep dinner interesting. It’s a great all-purpose sauce for beef or chicken and even used as my secret ingredient in a great chili.
Most recently I used Manwich to make a scrumptious grilled burrito. It’s made in the traditional Sloppy Joe kind of way except we add in roasted potatoes, pepper, cheese and sour cream. You could even throw some re-fried beans in the mix, we just don’t happen to care for them. They’re easy to throw together and easy to eat.
Weeknight Meal Tips
- One Pot Meal Wonders - I like to save time in the kitchen by putting together weeknight meals that can all fit into one pot. It makes cooking fast, clean-up easy and the kids satisfied. Manwich is great for putting a finishing touch on the meal with a rich, flavorful sauce.
- Something for Everyone - We like to make a meal buffet-style with a toppings bar. Everyone gets to put together their own plate with the flavors they love. You can make it fun with themes and topping like a taco bar, burger bar or even a build-your-own pizza with Manwich sauce and all the fixin’s.
- Wrap It Up - Contain a messy meal with tortilla wraps. Sloppy Joes or Pulled Pork is fun to eat when it’s wrapped in a tortilla and you don’t have to worry about pre-treating stains the rest of the evening.
- 3 cups red potatoes, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons extra light olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can Thick n Chunky Manwich
- 6 flour burrito sized tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Prepare a lipped baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray or a Silpat baking mat.
- Toss potatoes and pepper with olive oil, salt/pepper until coated. Spread evenly on baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes.
- While the potatoes are baking, brown the ground beef until fully cooked and strain off grease.
- Over medium heat, mix together the beef and Manwich sauce, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add a scoop of meat sauce to the center of each tortilla, top with a scoop of the baked potatoes, sprinkle on cheese and add a dollop of sour cream.
- Wrap burrito’s by folding one edge over the filling, fold the sides towards the center and roll towards the top until it’s wrapped tightly.
- Spray a griddle with butter flavored non-stick spray and grill both sides of burrito’s over medium-high heat until golden brown.
One lucky reader will win a Manwich Manday Survival Kit which includes: 1 Calphalon skillet ($80 value), 4 Manwich bibs (one for each member of the family), 1 wooden spoon, 1 mini canister of handwipes, $50 grocery gift card and Manwich product.
Disclosure – I am a compensated member of the Official Manwich Weeknight Meal Expert program. Opinions expressed are based on my own experiences with the brand/product.