When thinking of St. Patrick’s Day meals, I would guess that corned beef and cabbage comes to mind, but not for our family. I can’t help but go straight for the desserts. To keep things fun, light and so very green, I came up with a fun new take on the quite popular whoopie pies. The sweet filling has a touch of mint that complements the chocolate cake perfectly. You can even add a pinch of good luck by adding Lucky Charms marshmallows to decorate the frosting layer.
- 1 box Betty Crocker Butter Recipe Chocolate Cake Mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/8 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure mint extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- green food coloring
- 1 cup Lucky Charms cereal marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, oil, water and eggs at a medium speed for 2 minutes.
- On a parchment lined baking sheet, drop heaping tablespoons of cake batter two inches apart.
- Bake for 8 -10 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean in the center of a cake.
- Allow cakes to cool on parchment for 10 minutes on a wire rack.
- In an electric mixer, cream shortening and butter at a high speed for 3 minutes.
- Reduce speed to low and add granulated sugar, mint extract, food coloring and milk.
- Add powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time until fully incorporated.
- Spread a small spoonful of mint frosting between two cakes and decorate the edges with Lucky Charms marshmallows.