In one week my baby girl will be four years old. It’s hard to imagine that time has flown as quickly as it has. Seems like I was just snuggling with my 8 pound bundle of love that spent most of her early days sleeping. She really was the perfect baby. From the day she was born she was sleeping through the night (and most days) only waking to eat and go right back to sleep. And now here she is, our little “tank” (her nickname because she’s a sturdy little thing, always bulldozing through the house like she’s indestructible), running all over the place and not too far from starting pre-school.
Being the last baby in the house I tend to go a bit overboard with her birthdays knowing they will be the last of each age we’ll get to celebrate. For her 4th she’s picked a strawberry shortcake theme, not surprising considering strawberries are her favorite fruit and we can’t go a day without watching one of her Strawberry Shortcake movies.
So we’re doing something fun for her by making something strawberry shortcake themed every day until her birthday on Sunday. Today, we kicked it off with some lightened up strawberry shortcake pancakes.
Strawberry pancake sauce is typically loaded up with sugar and calories. To make this breakfast (or dessert) a little less guilty we sweetened the strawberries with Truvia Baking Blend. I love using it because it’s a blend of zero-calorie Truvia natural sweetener and sugar, packaged in a product that’s easy to use. For our strawberry pancake topping the Truvia Baking Blend provides a sugar-like taste and texture, but with 75% fewer calories per serving than sugar.
- 2 cups Bisquick
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound strawberries, diced
- ⅛ cup Truvia Baking Blend
- Light or Fat-Free whipped topping
- In a cooking pot over medium heat, stir together strawberries and Truvia Baking Blend. Let the mixture heat for 10 – 15 minutes, until warm and juicy.
- Combine all pancake ingredients in a mixing bowl until smooth.
- Over medium-high heat in a non-stick skillet, pour pancake batter into 4 inch round pancakes. Heat until golden brown on both sides.
- Serve pancakes with whipped topping and strawberry topping.
Want to learn more about using Truvia for lower calorie recipes?
* I am a compensated member of the Truvia Kitchen Cabinet network of Honestly Sweet Baking Bloggers. Product has been provided but opinions and product usage are based on my own experiences.