Baking is something I spend an absurd amount of time doing. When the kids are at school, there’s just Emma and I at home to do the usual chores, writing practice, cartoons and spend quality time together. Our little time killing passion happens to be baking.
While it’s fun to teach my daughter how to crack an egg, use the mixer and even measure liquids, it’s not the best hobby for someone trying to stay in the perfect fitting jeans. The time I spend baking with my daughter isn’t something I want to give up so instead I’ve been looking at alternative ways to bake with her and keep the calories lower than usual. That’s where Truvia Baking Blend comes in. It’s not just an alternative product in our kitchen, it’s part of a lifestyle change for everyone in this family that uses sugar.
One easy way to do that is to replace our usual brand of brown sugar with a homemade version using Truvia Baking Blend and molasses. Together these come together to create a fluffy brown sugar alternative that tastes great in baked goods and serves up 75% fewer calories than sugar (plus the 60 calories from the molasses when using 1 tablespoon).
So just how easy is it to make homemade brown sugar with fewer calories?
For the recipe I was making today I needed 1/2 cup of brown sugar which is the equivalent of only 1/4 cup when using Truvia Baking Blend. So you’ll need a small mixing bowl, a whisk, molasses and Truvia Baking Blend to make this. Simply whisk together 1/4 cup of Truvia Baking Blend with 1/4 tablespoon of molasses. You can add a bit more or less depending on how dark you like your brown sugar.
Once whisked together until completely combined you get a fluffy bowl of homemade brown sugar that took less than 5 minutes to make.
How else can I use Truvia Baking Blend?
- Brown Sugar - Capture that rich flavor of brown sugar by adding a tablespoon of molasses* per 1 cup of Truvia® Baking Blend.
- Powdered Sugar - Use Truvia® Baking Blend instead of powdered sugar using a ratio of 1 teaspoon of corn starch per 1 cup of Truvia® Baking Blend. Blend on high in a food processor or grinder until texture is close to powdered sugar.
- For more baking and cooking tips from Truvia visit http://www.truvia.com/recipes/tips/
Now that we know how to make a brown sugar with fewer calories, it’s time to test it out. That’s exactly what I did with of my my personal favorite chocolate chip cookie recipes. Below you’ll see the original recipe with changes I made using the Truvia Baking Blend to create a cookie that’s just as delicious as the original.
- ½ cup light brown sugar (or ¼ cup Truvia Baking Blend brown sugar)
- ½ cup granulated sugar (or ¼ cup Truvia Baking Blend + 3 tablespoons granulated sugar)
- 1 stick of butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray a mini cupcake pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Whisk together the sugars, butter, egg and vanilla extract until creamy and smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients and stir together with a wooden spoon until combined.
- Use a tablespoon to scoop out the dough and roll it into a ball. Drop each ball into the mini cupcake pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Top with frosting and your favorite candy decoration.
Inside each cookie ball is a soft, almost cake-like texture that’s still full of sweetness like the original recipe.
Want to learn more about using Truvia in your home?
* I am a compensated member of the Truvia Kitchen Cabinet network of Honestly Sweet Baking Bloggers. Product has been provided but opinions and product usage are based on my own experiences.