Our 4th of July started with a 3 hour trip to the local water park. Since we splurged on season passes this year, we’re spending a ton of time there. The kids get worn out, I get to relax and everyone gets to escape the hum-drum boredom of daily chores.
Since it was a holiday we cut out a bit early and made a quick trip to Country Market to get some grilling supplies. Yay for a night that I don’t have to cook! When it comes to the grill, that’s where I hang inside to prep dishes while the hubby becomes the grill master. We made our usual grilling spread with hamburgers, hot dogs, marinated chicken and I whipped up a scrumptious three bean “baked” beans for the grill. I like to go a little outside of the box when it comes to baked beans and go straight for three of my favorite canned beans.
I love using canned beans because canning process locks in foods’ freshness, flavor and nutrients at the peak of ripeness, just hours after picking. It also saves me time in the kitchen because I don’t have to wait for dry beans to soak.
For this recipe I used Bush’s Original Baked Beans, Black Beans and Dark Red Kidney Beans. The variety you choose is up to you but we love our baked beans to have a little color.
To make this dish I start by creating my own sauce. It’s simply bacon, sweet onions, garlic and black pepper.
Then I toss in some mustard and barbecue sauce.
To finish off this dish you toss the beans with the warm sauce and get it ready to grill in a disposable foil baking dish.
If you’re grill is super hot like our is, those beans will get bubbling in no time at all. In fact, these were ready in just 20 minutes.
The sauce cooks down nice and thick with tender beans.
Want to make these for your next cookout? Grab the recipe below! Or to get even more can-friendly cooking recipes be sure to check out these great resources:
- Facebook: www.Facebook.com/CansGetYouCooking
- Pinterest: www.Pinterest.com/CansGetUCooking
- YouTube: www.YouTube.com/CansGetYouCooking
- 1 tablespoon Extra Light Olive Oil
- ⅓ pound bacon, diced
- 1 cup sweet yellow onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 – 28 ounce can Bush’s Original Baked Beans
- 1 – 15 ounce can Bush’s Black Beans, drained
- 1 – 16 ounce can Bush’s Dark Red Kidney Beans, drained
- For sauce, in a skillet over medium-high heat, toss bacon, onions and pepper in olive oil. Fry until onions become translucent (about 8 minutes). Add garlic and stir for 2 minutes. Add barbecue sauce, mustard and brown sugar. Stir until brown sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat.
- In a disposable aluminum baking pan, toss beans with sauce and grill over medium-high heat for about 20 minutes. Sauce will bubble and thicken while cooking.
Use the entry form below to enter to win a Cans Get You Cooking Prize Pack.