I can’t believe Halloween is coming up so quickly this year. Time just kinda slipped right by us and now we’re scrambling to pick out costumes, decorate the front yard and pick up candy for the trick-or-treaters. Rather than stress about everything we’ve forgotten to do this month I decided it would be a lot more fun to get in the kitchen with my toddler and cook up a fun Halloween treat. Much like the popular Rice Krispies Treats Pumpkins we made last year, these are just as fun to make and sweet to eat.
Inside each bite-sized pumpkin there’s a sweet surprise … a mini Milky Way candy bar!
These are really easy to make with just a few simple ingredients. You could put them on a plate to share or on stick for a cute centerpiece at your Halloween party.
Some tips to help you make these … 1. make sure you coat your hands very well with vegetable shortening or your fingers will become a gooey treat. Also, if you don’t have orange food coloring just mix about 7 drops of red with 10 drops of yellow to create the perfect orange. For more fun ideas this Halloween, check out the Rice Krispies recipe section online.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 – 10 oz package large marshmallows or 4 cups of miniature marshmallows
- 6 cups Kellogg’s Rice Krispies cereal
- orange food color (or a mix of red/yellow)
- 12 mini candy bars (Milky Way)
- 1 tube of green decorator frosting
- 12 candy sticks
- In a large pot melt butter over low heat.
- Add marshmallows and melt until smooth.
- Add food coloring and stir well. Remove from heat.
- Stir cereal into marshmallows and mix just until combined.Set aside.
- Press each stick into a candy bar.
- Coat your hands well with shortening and scoop about 2 tablespoons of the treat mixture into your hand and press around the candy bar into a ball.
- Set the pops aside to cool before adding the green stem.
One lucky reader will win a Surprise Pumpkins Treats kit that includes a recipe card, a box of Rice Krispies cereal, 1 package of marshmallows and a bag of Milky Way candy bars. Use the form below to enter.
Disclaimer: “Kellogg Company® has provided me with a Kellogg’s Rice Krispies® Surprise Pumpkin Treats™ Kit to conduct a reader giveaway. However, my opinions about the product are entirely my own and I have not been paid to publish positive sentiments toward Kellogg Company or its products.”