So what do you do with a pile of over-ripened bananas? banana bread? banana cake? … How about a banana smoothie? That’s what I find myself doing lately. As much as I love banana bread, the calories are a killer especially when I can’t stop myself with just one slice. Instead I blend them up into a sweet smoothie for breakfast and reap the benefits without all of the sugar and calories in bread and cake.
This is a great meal replacement smoothie or an afternoon snack with only about 200 calories per 1 cup serving. Plus if you add in that espresso powder you get a little extra kick start to your day.
- 1 large over-ripened banana, diced
- ¼ cup organic vanilla yogurt
- ¼ cup 2% milk
- ½ cup ice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon instant espresso powder (optional)
- sprinkle of ground nutmeg (optional)
- In a blender, combine all of the ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Sprinkle a little nutmeg on top (optional).