January is a difficult month for me when it comes to cooking and baking. While I didn’t personally make any resolutions, my husband did. In the midst of my typical sweets and baked goods I’ve been making, he’s busy fighting off the urge to eat these calorie packed goodies.
Rather than leave all these desserts around with nothing for him, I pulled my bag of Truvia Baking Blend out of the pantry to whip up a snack that he could enjoy without the guilt. It’s a great alternative when I want to make something that has fewer calories because it’s a blend of zero-calorie Truvia natural sweetener and sugar. My husband was skeptical about my ability to turn a homemade oatmeal bar into a snack that has a sugar-like taste and texture, but with 75% fewer calories per serving than sugar.
And boy did I surprise him. These very sweet and chewy oatmeal bars come out perfect and they’re only around 80 calories per bar.
For this recipe I used a homemade brown sugar with Truvia Baking Blend and molasses. Blended together you get the same texture, taste and color of brown sugar but with fewer calories. I even added some cherry infused Craisins and toffee bits to give it a dessert-like taste.
- 2 cups quick cooking oats
- 1 cup crispy rice cereal
- ⅓ cup Craisins – cherry infused flavor
- ¼ cup Heath Toffee Bits
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup Truvia Baking Blend
- ¼ tablespoon molasses
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Spray a 9 inch square baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, mix together the oats, cereal, craisins and toffee bits.
- Over medium-high heat, whisk together butter, Truvia Baking Blend, molasses and honey until smooth and begins to simmer.
- Remove from heat and pour over dry ingredients. Mix until all of the oats are moistened.
- Spread evenly in the baking pan and press down until compact.
- Cool for 1 hour, turn the pan upside down onto a cutting board and cut into 24 bars.
Want to learn more about using Truvia for lower calorie recipes?
* I am a compensated member of the Truvia Kitchen Cabinet network of Honestly Sweet Baking Bloggers. Product has been provided but opinions and product usage are based on my own experiences.