Seems like a good portion of the country is covered in frosty snow right about now. Not us, we managed to escape the whole snow storm by a few dozen miles. I can’t hide my disappointment, I adore snow. Instead we’re just hanging out in 20-something degree temperatures and partially cloudy days.
So what’s there to do when it’s cold and no snow to sled on? We cuddle in pajamas all day with hot cocoa.
For the chilly days (and nights) when I don’t have a stock of hot cocoa envelopes we like to make it on the stove top. There’s a simple recipe right on your tub of Hershey’s cocoa powder but I like to add my own personal touches and richness to it.
And of course it’s just not hot cocoa without marshmallows. Even better when they’re left-over homemade marshmallows from Christmas.
- 10 pieces Hershey’s Bliss white chocolate candy
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup Hershey’s unsweetened cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- ⅓ cup hot water
- 4 cups whole milk
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- lots of marshmallows
- Chop the candy pieces into small chunks and set aside.
- Over medium high heat, whisk together the sugar, cocoa powder, salt and water until it begins to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the chopped chocolate, whisk until melted.
- Add milk, heavy cream and vanilla extract.
- Stir until hot.
- Pour into cups, add marshmallows and a drizzle of caramel topping.