This weekend I was out doing some shopping and popped in Sam’s Club just to poke around and ended up running into the produce section. Next thing I know my cart filled up with big bags of bell peppers, grapes and some gorgeous looking Granny Smith apples.
There is probably a couple hundred things I could have done with these apples but for some reason, pizza came to mind. Thus … the cinnamon apple dessert pizza was born.
- 1 Pillsbury refrigerated pie dough circle
- 3 large Granny Smith apples
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste (or extract)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-5 tablespoons of hot water
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
- Peel core and cut apples into ½ inch wedges
- Toss apples with sugar, cinnamon and flour.
- Spread apples over the center of the pie crust on a pizza baking sheet, leaving an inch of dough around the edges.
- Fold dough towards the center to create a crust around the apples.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until crust is golden brown.
- In a small bowl mix butter, vanilla bean paste (or extract) and powdered sugar. Add a tablespoon of hot water and repeat until the icing reaches the desired consistency.
- Drizzle icing over warm apple pizza, slice and serve.