I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting for ACH Food Companies Inc. I received a promotional item as a thank-you for participating.
As I countdown the days on calendar until the first day of school for my kids, I’m reminded that there’s still a lot of work to be done. We’re not quite done shopping for supplies nor have I finished the August meal plan for school lunches and after school snacks. More often than not I resort to pre-packaged foods like yogurt, crackers and fresh foods like fruits and vegetables but occasionally I like to make homemade treats for the kids. Some of their favorites are these strawberry-banana fruit rolls, cran-cherry toffee oatmeal bars and now, they’re fallen in love with these chewy peanut butter chocolate granola bars.
They’re actually a lot less crunchy than a traditional granola bar and very soft and chewy. You can change up the ingredients, even sneak in hidden goodies like sunflower seeds or dried fruit. Since wanted to make a sweet snack we included big chocolate chips and plenty of peanut butter.
To start you just toss together quick-cook oats, crispy rice cereal and chocolate chips.
Next, to bind it all together you mix together plenty of peanut butter, brown sugar and Karo® Light Corn Syrup.
It is primarily used in recipes that call for something sweet, like baked goods, candies, pies, popcorn balls, in glazes and sauces for meat and poultry, and as topping for French toast, pancakes and waffles, ice creams and more because it is a natural sweetener. It’s actually so sweet in this recipe you could probably cut the brown sugar in half and still have a delicious granola bar.
Chewy Chocolate and Peanut Butter Granola Bars Recipe
Serves: 16 bars
- 2-1/2 cups quick oats
- 2 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup Karo® Light Corn Syrup
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Spice Islands® Pure Vanilla Extract
- Line a 13 x 9 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Mix together oats, cereal and chocolate chips in a large bowl.
- Combine peanut butter, corn syrup and brown sugar in a microwaveable bowl. Microwave on HIGH (100%) for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in vanilla extract until well blended and smooth.
- Pour over cereal mixture and stir until evenly coated. Spoon into prepared pan. Press down firmly. Let stand for an hour; cut into bars.
- Wrap each bar individually in parchment paper for a mess-free snack on the go.
recipe provided by KaroSyrup.com
The sweetest part about these no-bake treats is they’re made with Karo syrup, the only widely distributed brand of corn syrup that contains 0 grams of high-fructose corn syrup. For more great recipes and cooking ideas be sure to go to to Karo Syrup’s Facebook page and the Karo Syrup website.