Alcohol is something I very, very rarely drink. Special occasions and holidays you may find me taking a sip or two but it never agrees with my stomach and well, I just don’t care for the taste. Unless of course it’s super fruity. New Year’s Eve is one of those occasions where I’ll have a glass of champagne with my husband and try to enjoy it.
Rather than hold my nose and swallow the champagne this year I thought it would be fun to turn it into a drink I could like and even truly enjoy.
This champagne is loaded with a frozen strawberry flavor thanks to an easy strawberry granita. You could get the fizz of the champagne and the sweetness of the berries to make a drink that is just delicious!
- 3 cups of diced strawberries
- 1 cup hot water
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed meyer lemon juice
- 1 bottle of pink champagne, chilled
- Whisk sugar and lemon juice into the hot water until dissolved.
- In a blender, liquify the strawberries, sugar-water and lemon juice until smooth.
- Spread the strawberry mixture into a large baking pan and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Scrape the mixture into chunks.
- Freeze for 30 minutes and repeat the scraping every 30 minutes for 2 hours.
- Fill champagne glasses with the frozen strawberry granita and top off with the pink champagne.
- Serve immediately.