A few days ago I was minding my own business, just poking through my favorite blog feeds and got smacked in the face with these scrumptious looking Brown Butter Vanilla Bean Rice Krispie Treats. I don’t know about you but I’m a sucker for ooey gooey cereal treats. The only problem was I didn’t have any of the ingredients except the marshmallows. For some odd reason, we always have marshmallows in the house.
So I rush off to the grocery store and wouldn’t you know it, they don’t carry whole vanilla beans. Gotta love small towns. Instead of sulking, I remembered I had this awesome bottle of vanilla bean paste which happens to be an awesome whole vanilla bean substitute because it a concentrated bottle of vanilla goodness with tons of bean flecks.
The best part of using vanilla bean paste (or whole vanilla beans) is that you get these tiny little black specks of yumminess throughout the cereal treat.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 10.5 oz bag of miniature marshmallows
- ½ tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- 5 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- In a large cooking pot, melt butter over medium-low heat for 5-10 minutes until it turns a golden brown color.
- Add marshmallows, stir until melted completely.
- Remove from heat and stir in cereal.
- Add cereal treats to a buttered 9×9 baking dish.
- Cut into squares after cooled.
Recipe Inspired by Zoe Bakes