This post brought to you by Boar’s Head. All opinions are 100% mine.
A typical weekend lunch for family consists of cold cut sandwiches and soup. Occasionally I’ll pull out the skillet and make the grilled cheese but no matter what we’re making it has to be on the healthier side because my husband is trying to lose weight. And the rest of us easily get bored with the sandwiches so this weekend we set out to try something a little different.
Normally I make potato skins loaded with bacon, bbq pulled pork and abundance of cheese. It’s not the healthiest choice so this time we changed it up a bit. My husband and I went to our local market to check out the selection of Boar’s Head lower sodium deli meats and cheeses. That’s where I got the idea to use the Black Forest Brand 25% lower sodium smoked ham and along with the 25% lower fat – 25% lower sodium American cheese for our skins.
Making potato skins starts with 6 small russet potatoes that have been washed, dried and lightly coated in extra light olive oil. They’re baked for about 45 minutes at 400 degrees F, then cut in half length-wise. Simply scoop out a small portion of the cooked potato from the center and lightly brush both sides with light butter. Bake them for another 10 minutes.
Now they’re ready to be filled. I used steamed broccoli cuts, chopped Black Forest Ham and the American cheese.
Bake them until the cheese is melted and you’ve got a much healthier version of a restaurant favorite.
When you visit the deli section of your local supermarket you might just be surprised at home many lower sodium choices are available from Boar’s Head including: American Cheese, Provolone Cheese, Blogna, Hickory Smoked Turnkey Breast and many more.
- 6 small Russet Potatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra light olive oil
- ¼ cup light butter, melted
- ½ cup Boar’s Head 25% LOWER SODIUM Black Forest Ham Brand Smoked Ham, diced
- ½ cup Boar’s Head 25% LOWER FAT – 25% LOWER SODIUM American Cheese, diced
- 1 cup broccoli, steamed and chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Wash and dry potatoes. Rub the skins with oil and place on a baking sheet. Bake 45 minutes.
- Remove potatoes from heat and cut in half lengh-wise.
- Brush inside and skin with melted butter and set potato side down on the baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Turn potatoes over and fill with broccoli, ham and cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes until cheese is melted