I realize in most places around the country it’s 90 plus degrees outside but that doesn’t mean you can’t still enjoy some of your favorite baked goods. The key here is to do your baking at night when the temperatures drop and enjoy them the next day. That’s exactly what I did when I decided to make this wholesome black bottom banana bread!
Banana bread has been my long time favorite way to use over ripened bananas. However, I’ve never gone beyond the basics until I tried this chocolate-banana bread combo recipe. Chocolate + Banana = Delicious! In the future I will probably nix the use of whole wheat flour though. I’m sure it makes it a tad healthier but it leaves a bit of “grain” taste in your mouth I’m not crazy about. Aside from that, it’s a moist bread that will leave you craving more.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed well
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup OVALTINE Rich Chocolate Mix
- PREHEAT oven to 350 F. Spray bottom of 9×5 loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- COMBINE whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl.
- COMBINE bananas, sugar butter, yogurt, eggs and vanilla extract in large bowl; stir well. Stir in flour mixture until just moistened. Remove 1 cup of batter and place into separate bowl along with OVALTINE; stir until combined.
- SPOON OVALTINE mixture into prepared pan; top with remaining banana batter.
- BAKE for 55 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes; transfer to wire rack to cool completely. (Bread can be wrapped in plastic wrap and stored at room temperature for up to 3 days).