Right after Christmas the first thing I always do with the leftover ham is chop it into cubes, save the drippings and make a big batch of Ham n Beans. It’s a pathetically simple recipe that comes with a lot of comfort and flavor. And next to the ham n beans, you’ll always find a a side of cornbread and buttered cabbage.
Growing up my dad just boiled the hell out of it and threw some pepper in but I like it smooth and silky, steamed and dripping with butter, lots of butter.
- 1 small head of cabbage
- 1 stick of butter, salted
- fresh ground black pepper
- Heat the butter in a large, deep skillet over medium heat.
- While the butter is melting, cut the cabbage into 1-2 inch cubes.
- Drop the cabbage into the skillet and stir.
- Add a lid to the skillet to trap the steam and reduce heat to low.
- Let it cook for about 30 minutes, until the cabbage is tender.
- Serve with a generous topping of fresh ground black pepper.