There are quite a few desserts that have always been part of my family’s holiday traditions. For starters, there’s the sugar cookies I’ve loved since I could chew. But there’s also my dad’s famous fudge he makes every Christmas and the assortment of pies we always enjoy this time of the year.
Sometimes I feel a bit like the ‘black sheep’ of the family because I’m always trying to make something new out of our traditional dishes. For example, my mom’s deep dish apple pie is wonderful but could it be better? I thought so. Which is why I turned it into ice cream thanks to some fun recipe pairing ideas from Eagle Brand.
Sweetened condensed milk is a product that was only familiar to me in the way our family has used it to make holiday fudge and cheesecakes. But you can use it for some many different desserts, even as a main component of ice cream. So I looked over Eagle Brand’s traditional and new dessert pairing ideas to create this Apple Pie Ice Cream with homemade caramel sauce.
Homemade ice cream is a dessert that’s really easy to make and tastes so much better than anything you can buy at your grocery store. It all starts with a great ice cream maker. I find myself using it year round for special occasions and Christmas is no exception. This ice cream is rich, delicious and really tastes like a baked apple pie with the little bits of apple nestled in every spoonful.
You could serve it by itself, over a slice of apple pie or create a sweet dessert topping for it. This easy caramel sauce only requires one simple ingredient, a can of Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk. There are a few different methods for making this but the simplest is to preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and pour the milk into a pie plate. Cover the plate with aluminum foil and set it in a large baking pan filled with about 1/2 inch of very hot water. Bake it for 1 hour and 30 minutes – 2 hours and you end up with a think caramel sauce perfect for topping ice cream.
- 2 cups finely chopped, peeled cooking apples, like McIntosh
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup apple cider
- ¾ teaspoon apple pie spice or ground cinnamon
- 1 (14 ounce) can Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1½ cups half and half cream
- ⅓ cup Smucker's® Caramel Flavored Topping
- COOK apple in melted butter in large skillet over medium heat until tender, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in apple cider and apple pie spice; cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- WHISK sweetened condensed milk and cream in medium bowl until well blended. Stir in apple mixture. Fill a large bowl about halfway with ice cubes and very cold water. Set the medium bowl containing the ice cream mixture inside the large bowl. Stir until very cold, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- FREEZE in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. Spread in 8- or 9-inch square pan. Cover and freeze until firm, about 3 hours. Scoop ice cream and mound in pan. Drizzle caramel topping over entire surface, allowing caramel to seep into ice cream. Pack ice cream back into pan. Cover and freeze until ready to serve.
Use the entry form below to enter to win a $250 holiday prize pack that includes: Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk – Regular, Low Fat and Fat Free varieties, $100 Gift Card to Wal-Mart, Bakers Box Packaging Set, Spice Measuring Spoons and Baking Scale.
* I was provided a baking kit and gift card to make and try the recipe.