Growing up, oatmeal was a breakfast staple in our house during the cold winter months. I can remember getting up for school and running to the microwave to heat up a packet of brown sugar oatmeal. It was quick, easy and comforting before I had to drag my behind outside for a long, cold walk to the bus stop.
These days, I’m still warming up a hot bowl of oatmeal except now I have the time to put together a more flavorful breakfast dish. One my kids love is a simple but sweet Autumn Apple Oatmeal with a sprinkle of raisins.
It all starts with a big tub of Quaker® Old Fashioned Oats and some fresh Gala apples. This time of the year the apple varieties are plentiful so pick a variety you love, we just happened to enjoy the fresh batch of organic Gala apples that came into our local store.
To make this warm oatmeal dish all you need is a few basic ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen. And since October 29th is National Oatmeal day, it’s a good reminder to stock up on oats for the cold months ahead. Baking your favorite oatmeal dish is one way to celebrate but if you visit www.nationaloatmealday.com online you’ll also find four other fun ways to celebrate (and win some prizes too).
And if you’re really excited about oatmeal, be sure to join the National Oatmeal Day Twitter Party by tweeting with the #YayOats hashtag on Monday, October 29th at 1 pm EST.
- 2½ cups whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 2 Gala apples, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Stir in the baking powder.
- In a baking dish coated with non-stick cooking spray, add the oats and apples.
- Pour the milk mixture over the oats and stir just until combined.
- Top with raisins and brown sugar.
- Baked 35 – 40 minutes.
VOTE & WIN
When you vote you will be entered to win a $1,000 gift card! Yay Oats! Official Sweepstakes Rules
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Quaker®. The opinions and text are all mine.